Wednesday, April 9, 2008

How Solace Came to Be


You know what I'm talking about. It starts with that one little flutter of longing in your heart..."Maybe a kitten. Just one. We're such a quiet family, I'm almost bored..."


Then, the momentum increases..."Ooh, we could Rescue! It would be great! Rescued cats are so sweet... it's like they know, and they appreciate you more..."


And you start shopping on Pet Finder. And you set a date: "I'll wait until after (insert holiday, event or bill payment here). Then, we'll find the perfect one...


But look at all these sweet kitty faces!


"Uh oh..."Oh my gosh! Lookit that awesome cat! WHAT?? Who would FOUR PAW DECLAW such a beautiful creature?? She's at ANIMAL CONTROL?? FOR TWO WEEKS??!! Oh, HELL no they did NOT just..."


Gasping for breath as you careen off the doorjamb at Suburbia Division of Animal Control, desparately clawing at the front desk counter as you scare the cat-love out of the poor volunteer behind the fossilized computer station...


"The-diluted-mainecoon-lookin'-cat-that's-been-declawed-she-was-on-PetFinder-yesterday-is-she-still-here??"


Blink. Blink.


"I want to adopt a cat. A specific cat. The Cat! Can you help me?"


"Oh. Ok." She's still a little stunned, so I try not to crawl over the desk and shake her. "Can you please fill out this adoption application?"


I swear, to this day, I don't know if it was legible. Finally, FINALLY, a no-nonsense looking lady in scrubs strolls into the waiting room and calls my name. Thank God. At least that part was readable!


"Um. Hi." I'm feeling a little sheepish now. "I'm looking for a specific cat. She was on PetFinder yesterday, but she's not listed today. I'd really like to adopt her if she's..." (GULP) "...still here? She was listed as Princess...?"


The...longest...five...seconds...of...my...life.


"Oh! Sure! I think she's still in the infirmary. She had a sinus infection, and she's been here so long. The Humane Society said that they were going to pick her up today... do you want to see her?"


DUH. "Um, yes, please. Is she well enough to adopt?"


I saw that. The fractional hesitation...and I so totally didn't care. The cat could have been blowing green snot-bubbles out of her nose at that point. She was mine.


"She's had a full course of medication. She should be fine. Sit here, I'll go get her..."


The rest is history. She purred. She rubbed on my daughter's face and even wound herself around my husband's workboots. She was adorable. Now she sleeps on my bed. Thank God, she was still alive. It's Cat Karma. Once you start thinking about it, the perfect cat will present itself. If you hesitate... Who Knows? Timing is nothing when it comes to aquiring a cat. It's all in the Karma.

No comments: