Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hughie's Home!!

Hugh's Home!
Hugh's Home!!
Hugh is Home.
Ohh, he looks so good! I didn't even know the little guy could look so wonderful. The swelling in his face is gone, his eyes are clear and bright, and he's so trim through the abdomen I'd think he's a Whippet if I didn't know better.

He's definitely feeling better, too. The second I let him out into the back yard for what was supposed to be a sedate little potty break, he darted out behind the garden shed and started trying to dig under it! He's after that damn lizard that foiled him last Saturday, I know he is.

So, right now he's on a "Slow Kill" heartworm program, which means that they are giving him smaller doses of the arsenic-based medication in two session to limit the amount of worms that are eliminated at one time. This will reduce the short-term stress to his system that the worms' decomposition will impose. This is apparently a new treatment strategy; the vet explained that the protocol is so new that Hugh will be the first to be treated in this manner at her clinic. Which I think is pretty cool. I'm all for the "practice" of medicine, and I think it's great to support healthcare providers as they continue to learn.

I did, however, encounter some people at the office while waiting to discharge Hugh that gave me the heebie geebies. To wit:

"I told my six year old daughter that we'd get her a cat if she kept her room clean. She did, so now we have the cat. But, she knows that if she doesn't keep her room clean and keep getting good grades, I'll get rid of the cat. She's done pretty well so far, so we're getting the cat's hind paws declawed today. All ready had the front ones done..."

Huh? Since when is a cat a toy for a six year old that can be put in a closet when the child misbehaves? Oh, and here, hold still while I hack off the first digit of all ten of your toes...

This one was good too:

"I'm on to their little racket here, y'know. The vets that care for shelter animals, they take the money for the healthcare and never give the shots to the dogs. The dog we adopted from the shelter almost died of Parvo, and it's because they didn't give them the shots they said they did. But they know the owners will pay to save the dog's life, so they just make them healthy enough to bond, but make sure they keep getting sick so they have to come back to the vet."

Wow, I didn't know they could program a dog to break down like they could a Cadillac. Or that a VACCINE for Parvo is supposed to magically cure a dog that all ready has the disease. I'd like to live in that reality. Must be nice.

So, anyway, Hugh's on an antibiotic, a cardiac stimulant, a diuretic, an ointment for his eyes (minor upper-respiratory infection), and something else I can't remember, but I'm sure it's important. He's more of a walking pharmacy than I am! His kidneys are still having a hard time, and he's on a low-protein diet for the foreseeable future. But, he's home, he's sleek and lovely and in time he should have a good long-term prognosis.

Thank you all so kindly for your help and good thoughts. I really appreciate the health mojo, I do believe that Hugh and I wouldn't have gotten this far without all of you. I'll keep you posted, and I'll also post some actual cat-related stuff soon. Holy Cow! Could things be getting back to normal? *gasp*

7 comments:

Karen Jo said...

I am so glad that Hugh has shown such improvement. Go, Hugh, go! You overheard some scary people at the vet's. There is absolutely no reason to declaw cats anymore. There are those great nailcaps you can put on them if they scratch too much. Threatening to take away the cat if the little girl doesn't keep her grades up is horrible. I'm glad I'm not as mistrusting as the person who thought that vets want to keep animals sick. Anyway, more hoorays for Hugh!

Anonymous said...

YaaY! I'm so glad that Hughie is home. I was worried. Rock on to you Hughie!

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

I'm so glad Hughie is home. He does look really good in the pictures. I'm glad he's feeling better. We're sending lots of purrs your way for his continued recovery.

The Lee County Clowder said...

Whooo, Yooo, Hughie!! On the right track, at last! But take it easy for a few days, at least, woofie. You don't wanna sprain yourself selebrating.

And we all hope that kittie finds a nice home when that freak of a bean throws that poor poodin out the window. (The Food Source is wondering how the daughter is being treated, as well)

Anonymous said...

Hey Hughie, you are home and things are lookin' up for ya! This is great!

I'm very pleased about this. You have been through so much. It's wonderful that you have such loving humans to give you the care you need.

Now, when you are feeling much stronger, do feel free to return to the clinic and put the big bitey on that vet that still declaws cats ;)

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

Wow! He looks so much better than the last photo we saw of him!!!
Keep getting well Hughie. We're pulling for you!
~ Gracie and The Bunch

Tiger Lily said...

Hooray! Sounds as if Hugh is a real fighter, especially now that he has a great family to help him in that fight. We'll be waiting for your updates.

prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs and tail wags,
Jemima, Zeke, Sushi, Tiger Lily and Ruckus